SUBMIT BY JUNE 15, 2012 AT 5:00 P.M. EST!
PHIT’s first-ever sketch revue show will be created by a group of writers and performers working together during the summer months under the supervision of a Head Writer and Director. Writers and performers will not necessarily overlap, so if you only want to create sketches and don’t want to appear on stage you’ll be able to do that. PHIT is auditioning writers only at this time (auditions for performers will occur later in the summer). Depending on the success of the Fringe sketch revue show, the team of writers may be given the option of continuing with support from PHIT to mount further shows.
Some factors to consider before submitting:
- Writers will be expected to attend a weekly meeting with the Head Writer and consistently generate new material while also working on re-writes.
- Writers are in no way guaranteed performance opportunities in the shows. The actors for the review will be selected through a separate audition process later in the summer at a time and date TBA.
- Being part of PHIT's sketch revue will involve a large time commitment, so writers should view their involvement with the sketch revue as their first priority when it comes to sketch comedy. Some great writers may not be part of this project because their priority is to other shows or groups, or because they'd rather use the time to focus on performance opportunities. If you feel like your sketch priorities lie elsewhere, please don't submit.
Anyone is eligible to submit, we welcome entries from anyone who believes they have talent and has considered the factors we listed above, thought about them, and decided they are down to be involved.
To be considered for a writing spot you will submit a packet consisting of 3 different sketches you've written, 3 additional 1-2 sentences pitches of other sketch ideas, and a brief cover letter explaining what you will bring to the writing team. Include the material you feel best represents you as a writer and shows us your sense of humor. Sketches can be intended either for stage or for video, although we would suggest including no more than one video script per packet. Your entire packet cannot exceed 15 pages total.
Please note that we cannot consider material you have co-written -- include only sketches you've written solo.
PHIT Sketch Revue packet submissions will be handled via email. Please make note of the following submission guidelines. If you do not follow the guidelines, your submission will not be considered.
In the body of your email, include the following information:
- Full name
- Phone number
- Names of any past sketch teachers (at PHIT or elsewhere)
- Any people/groups with whom you frequently collaborate (if applicable)
- A list of the titles of the 3 sketches in your packet
Attach your sketch packet to your email as a single attachment. In other words, combine all 3 of your sketches into one file. Acceptable file formats are: .pdf, .odf, .rtf or .doc (PDF strongly preferred).
Email your completed submission to:
Non-submission emails sent to this address will not be read. You will receive an email from PHIT staff confirming that your submission was received and we could open your files. Again, the deadline to submit is 5:00 p.m. on Friday, June 15th.
You should hear something about the status of your submission from PHIT during the week of June 18th.
Send us an email (get our email address from the contact page of the site or the paragraphs above).